Tired of Cold Winters?
Get some sand between your toes!
Snowbirds at Barrier Dunes – Escape the weather & the worries…enjoy the relaxed, happy group at Barrier Dunes! The fishing is great, boating is fun and activities abound; from potluck suppers to bonfires on the beach – winter on Cape San Blas, it doesn’t get much better!
All of life becomes casual and fun once you breathe the glorious salt air and let go of what you left behind. Try it and you be coming back like most of our guests! Cape San Blas, FL, or “the Cape” as most refer to it, is not well-known, but definitely better liked by those who have come to discover it’s magic.
Nestled up to St. Joseph Peninsula State Park & surrounded by water, it is the perfect place for a nature lovers’ exploration. Boating, shopping, theatre, golf, restaurants & other diversions are only minutes away, yet many of our guests never leave Barrier Dunes. Play tennis, walk your dog on an uncrowded beach while watching the ever changing scenes, fish, stir up a card game or read to your hearts content! It doesn’t get much better than this in life!
We don’t want too many to discover the treasure of the “Forgotten Coast”. If you enjoy incredible white sand beaches that offer miles of shoreline to discover, calmer, yet extremely friendly group of vacationers & casual, relaxed fun you need look no more! Enjoy many events in & around Barrier Dunes & on the beach this winter…some may even be planned by you, our guest!
Winter Barrier Dunes Snowbird Events:
- Craft Group
- Tennis lessons/practice groups
- Group bike rides
- Potluck Dinners
- Book exchanges
- Golf groups/tournaments
- Book club
- Gourmet Chef Now: Cooking classes 850-227-8030 or 850-229-1203
- See all FORGOTTEN COAST AREA EVENTS by month
** If you are going to be a guest at Barrier Dunes& want to plan your own event, let me know so I can post it here & you can join the Barrier Dunes Snowbirds group on Facebook to spread the word!
Other Things to Do:
Enjoy Movies, Live Theatre and Live Entertainment at the Dixie Theatre.
See the Area Events Calendar for activities & events in the area.
One Way Fitness Center Gym
209 Reid Avenue, Port Saint Joe, FL. (850) 227-1929 always open
Port St. Joe Tai Chi Classes: Free classed offered! Call Jessica Hays (850) 247-8550
The Artery Studio: Port St. Joe. Classes including pottery, painting & silk painting.
Gourmet Chef Now: Port St Joe. Cooking and date night classes available.
Haughty Heron: Port St. Joe. Live entertainment Friday & Saturday nights.
St. Joe Bar: Pool tournaments every Thursday, live entertainment Friday & Satruday, pot luck on Sunday.
Thirsty Goat: Port St. Joe. $5 Martini & Music Mondays. See the the full “Calendar of Events” link on left menu on their website.
No Name Cafe: Port St. Joe. Jewelry & knitting classes. You can call Lynn at 850-229-9277 for more information.
Lookout Lounge: Karaoke & bands every Thursday and Friday, 1st Sunday
ART LESSONS: Delores Lowery at the Prickly Pears Gourmet Gallery offers painting lessons. 800-648-1115
Apalachicola Fitness Center – 850-653-1920 A 3-month membership is now just $75
See our comprehensive Golf Page for details and more courses from Panama City to Tallahassee!
St. Joe Bay Country Club (about 10 min. from Barrier Dunes!) Offers an 18-hole championship golf course located along the beautiful St. Joseph Bay–10 minutes away. Visitors are welcome. 850-227-1751.
St. James Bay Country Club is an 18 hole, resort-style course. 850-697-9606.
Wildwood Country Club – 18-hole, PAR 72 course at 3870 Coastal Hwy in Crawfordville. 850-926-4653.
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Gulf – Yes! Port St. Joe has a great hospital if you have medical concerns! 850-229-5600
THINGS WE ENJOYED & RECOMMENDED DAY OUTINGS –
Notes from a past Cape San Blas Snowbird:
In our 3 winters here on Cape San Blas there are several outings we have taken that we would recommend.
- Wakulla Springs State Park: Well worth a day outing. You can swim in the springs, lunch at the lodge and take a very nice and inexpensive trip on the river boat where you are sure to see your fill of alligators. You can also rent your own canoe at T&T Hideaway (850-925-6412) and paddle the river downstream from the park.
- Wicissa River: Another interesting float trip if you have a canoe, kayak or small boat.
- St. Vincent Island: Fun day trip and there is a shuttle at the end of Indian Pass (see the guest information book in the rental for contact info). Don’t forget to stop at the Indian Pass Raw Bar on the way back!
- St. Joe Bay: Kayaking, snorkeling or canoeing is great close by fun.
- Shopping Trip to Apalachicola: Enjoy shopping, a nice meal out (we recommend the “Owl” but there are LOTS of good restaurants) and seeing the shrimping boats. Dixie Theatre also has some great live shows, music and movies. You can also enjoy a good massage while you’re there!
- St. Andrews State Park: If you are going into Panama City, make a stop at St. Andrews State Park. They have a wonderful swimming lagoon for small children and the water is beautiful.
- Hammock Trail: A nice walk right from Barrier Dunes. Head into St. Joseph Peninsula State park and the Hammock Trail will be marked on your right side. It takes you out to the St. Joe Bay through a lovely treed path with interesting signs about the area. A must do.
You can also see all of our listings on VRBO, but book directly to save the VRBO Fees!