It’s true! Cape San Blas beaches are pet-friendly and allow your dogs at ANY time of year! Cape San Blas is one of the true “dog beaches” in Florida!
Dog Friendly Beaches – Pet Friendly Info – Cape San Blas
On This Page: Info on Cape San Blas, FL Pet Friendly Beaches, Pet Friendly Restaurants, Pet Sitter Contact, Cape San Blas Beach Rules for Dogs, Barrier Dunes Pet Stations, Cape Escape Dog Rules, Vets & Pet Care on the Forgotten Coast & Pictures of some of our “guest dogs.”
Cape San Blas Florida — Best Dog-Friendly Beach in America
It’s true! Cape San Blas beaches are pet-friendly & allow your dogs ANY time! Cape San Blas is one of the true “dog beaches” in FL! Don’t just settle for a pet-friendly rental…enjoy a pet friendly beach too!
Cape San Blas is regularly ranked one of the best pet friendly beaches in the USA! Dog Friendly Beaches – Pet Friendly Info – Cape San Blas
When on vacation at Cape San Blas we enjoy having our dogs with us. They are part of the family so we decided to provide a pet friendly accommodation for you as well! All of our rentals are pet friendly & we welcome large and small dogs alike!
We have spent many afternoons & evenings watching dogs of all shapes and sizes walk the beach & chase balls in the surf. Our dogs love the water & beach & playing with the other dogs on the beach–we would like your dogs to enjoy it too! There are NO time restrictions on when your dog is allowed on the Cape beaches!
Cape Escape Vacation Rentals welcomes well-behaved dogs of all sizes, so no worries about taking your large dog on vacation. We don’t have weight restrictions! Barrier Dunes has a lot of grassy areas to walk your dog(s) if you are not looking to go to the beach! Barrier Dunes provides a number of “Pet Stations” throughout the neighborhood with plastic bags so that you can easily clean up after your pet! And, of course, dogs are welcome on the beach ANY time! Cape San Blas, FL has one of the most pet friendly beaches in the USA!
Take your pup to see Santa – Saturday after Thanksgiving:
Enjoy shopping the unique stores in Apalachicola (they also have wonderful restaurants) from 11 – 6. Santa will be in town from 1-3 to visit with his furry friends! COSTUME CONTEST for the dogs too! Bring your camera and take your pet’s picture with Santa for a donation to the Frankin County Humane Society!
Did You Forget Something For Your Dog?
- Bow Wow Beach Shop. 301 Reid Ave. Unique source for quality products for dog lovers and dogs that love them! One of the 1st hip pet boutiques on the Forgotten Coast. Great product for people and their pets!
Pet Friendly Restaurants (please call 1st to make sure their policies haven’t changed):
- Dockside Café – Port St. Joe Marina
- Triple Tails – Port St. Joe (just off the Cape to the W, before Port St. Joe)
- Provisions – Port St. Joe
- Blue Parrot Oceanfront Cafe – St. George Island
- Up the Creek Raw Bar- Apalachicola
- Cypress Diner- Apalachicola
- Verandas Bistro & Wine Shop- Apalachicola
- Tamara’s Cafe- Apalachicola
- Apalachicola Seafood Grill- Apalachicola
- Hole in the Wall Oyster Bar – Apalachicola
- Apalachicola Seafood Grill – Apalachicola
- Up the Creek – Apalachicola
- Apalachicola is a great dog friendly place to visit!
Golden Rule Pet Sitting: Diana Fortinberry 850-227-5770. Diana will come out to Barrier Dunes & stay with your dogs if you are going out during the day! We get many GREAT reviews from past guests that have used Diana!
Bloomingtails. 850-227-4040. Teresa Douglas. Owner/Groom. Located in Port St. Joe, Teresa will watch your dogs at her location in Port St. Joe for a day or overnight trip.
Gulf Country Comments:
“For those traveling with pets, we’d like to say that we love animals in Gulf County. Within the State Parks, however, pets are unfortunately not allowed on the beach. On all other beaches, pets on a leash are more than welcome to take their owners for walks and enjoy the great water and beach.” – Gulf County Tourist Development Council.
You and your dog(s) are welcome at any of our Cape San Blas Vacation Rentals & on the on the beach, but you need to be a responsible pet owner!
See some of our guest dogs on our Facebook page!
Tip For Injured Paws at the Beach
If your dog has a paw injury that needs to keep sand out, try Glad Press and Seal wrap. It goes on quickly, is fairly thick and has some traction on it because of the texture. It also comes off easily without sticking to the fur but had enough adhesion to do the trick of sealing off the area!
General Beach Etiquette For Dog Owners
- Always keep your dog leashed when there is a leash law.
- Always clean up after your dog by using a poop bag (there are several pet stations around Barrier Dunes to make this EASY!)
- Do not let your dog visit with other beach-goers or dogs, unless welcomed (meaning talk to those around you…most of the time you will just make a friend and your dog will too!).
- Not a pet owner? Concerned about staying in a pet-friendly unit? We don’t think that you will be able to tell that a pet has been there before your stay! We are very particular and meticulous about the cleanliness of our vacation rentals! Before we were dog owners, we would not have considered a dog in the house or the car! What a change—2 dogs (and 2 kids) later! We understand the concern and think you will be pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of our rentals!
- YES! Big / Large dogs are VERY welcome!
Pet Policy For Our Cape San Blas Vacation Rentals & Gulf Country
Pets are welcome at our Barrier Dunes Vacation Rentals on a limited basis. 1st rule is, they must be well-behaved dogs ONLY! Even large dogs are very welcome, but no cats, lizards, snakes, turtles, birds or other pets allowed! Again, big dogs are VERY WELCOME & breed doesn’t matter as long as they are well-behaved! You must have prior written approval for each dog that you will bring & your pet must be housebroken & well-behaved, up to date on shots, flea and tick treatment. The pet fee is $100 for the first dog & $50 for additional dogs for the 1st week (please inquire on additional weeks). You will be responsible for any damages as well as additional cleaning or treatment needs due to fleas or accidents. Please bring your pet’s bedding as they are not permitted on the furniture or bedding. We do provide pet towels so your dog can enjoy swimming & chasing crabs & birds on the beach!
PLEASE clean up after your pet so we can keep the Cape San Blas, FL beaches pet friendly!!
In signing our pet contract you agree to:
- Keep your pet(s) under control at all times.
- Your dog must be housebroken.
- Keep your pet(s) off the furniture and bedding at all times.
- Adhere to local ordinances, leash laws & licensing requirements.
- Clean up after your pet(s) & dispose of the pet(s’) waste promptly.
- Keep pet(s) from being noisy or aggressive and from causing any annoyance or discomfort to others. You promise to remedy any complaints immediately.
- Agree that your pets are appropriately & currently treated for flea & tick prevention & will be current in their treatment at time of check-in.
- Owners/Agents of the Cape San Blas vacation rentals in Barrier Dunes take no responsibility for renters’ pet(s). You agree to pay for any damage, loss or expense caused by your pets.
- Dogs will be rinsed of sand & dried thoroughly before entering the unit. Dog towels must be washed, dried & returned to proper spot before check-out. Guest linens and towels will not be used on your pet (pet towels are provided).
- Dogs will not be washed in the bathtubs or showers inside the unit. This must be done in the outside shower or with a hose in the carport.
- No personal pet beds or other such items in our washer or drier.
Pet Care & Vets on the Forgotten Coast- Dog Friendly Beaches – Pet Friendly Info – Cape San Blas
Apalachicola Bay Animal Clinic. 187 Hwy 98, Eastpoint. 850-670-8306
A Special Pet. 1075 Rosemont St. Apalach. 850-653-2285. Pet Grooming
Dog Grooming Plus. 513 E. 4th Street, Port St. Joe. 850-227-3611
Penelope’s. 45 Market St. Apalachicola. 850-653-2257. Pet grooming & pet sitting.
Port St. Joe Veterinary Clinic. 411 Baltzell Ave. Port St. Joe. 850-229-8400.
Please note that the beaches of Panama City & Mexico Beach are NOT pet friendly. You stand a good chance of getting a hefty fine ($500) if you bring your dog on other beaches in the area!
One of the many stores that you can visit in Apalach is Petunia: For Pets and Their People! You are welcome to bring your well-behaved pet inside! Petuna has unique gifts, apparel & accessories for Pets and their People, including, collars & leashes, gourmet treat designer beds, pet carriers, pet bath and body products, pet life jackets, dog and cat toys, breed specific gifts, pet greeting cards, t-shirts, hats and more!
Apalachicola National Forest.
the Apalachicola National Forest, located between Tallahassee & the Apalachicola River, boasts over 564,000 acres where your leashed pet will be most welcome when you hit the trails! Despite the fact that this area is one of the most popular of the national forests on the east coast, there are still remote, quiet and remote areas of the park. There are also short interpretive trails for those who are seeing a shorter walk with Fido. Dogs are also permitted at the numerous lakes here, again, as long as they are kept on a leash. There is also a 31 mile Apalachee Savannah Scenic byway, which is on the western flank of the forest.
Under each of our Barrier Dunes Vacation Rentals you will find a hot/cold shower & hose for those sandy paws & toes. We even provide towels to dry your pets — you don’t have to bring your own pet towels–just your own beach towels!
For Those That Love There Pets Like Family: (thought this was cute!)
The dishes with the pay prints are yours and contain your food.
The other dishes are mine and contain my food.
Please note that placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not mean it becomes your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest!
The stairway is NOT a racetrack.
Beating me to the bottom is not the object.
Tripping me doesn’t help because I fall faster than you can run!
I cannot buy anything bigger than a king-sized bed.
I am very sorry about this.
Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch forever to ensure your comfort.
Dogs can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep.
It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible.
I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm and disrespect.
For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom.
If by some miracle, I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to clay, whine, bark or turn the know or stick your paw under the edge and try and pull the door open.
I must exit through the same door I entered. I have been using the bathroom for years–canine attendance is NOT mandatory!
The proper order is: Kiss Me, Smell the other end of the dog, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. I cannot stress this enough!
To pacify you, my dear dogs:
Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don’t ask for money all the time, usually come when they are called, never drive your car, don’t hang out with drug-users, don’t smoke or drink, don’t wear your clothes, don’t have to wear the latest fashions, don’t need a gazillon dollars for college and if they get pregnant, you can sell their children!
Proud Member of the Gulf County Chamber of Commerce!
You can also see all of our Cape San Blas vacation rentals in Barrier Dunes on VRBO, but book directly to save the VRBO Fees!