Restaurants on The Forgotten Coast: Cape San Blas, Apalachicola, Mexico Beach & St. Joe Beach
To help you decide where to dine first, you will find menus to many of the area restaurants in the Guest Information Book located in each of our Barrier Dunes Vacation Rentals! Restaurants in Gulf and Franklin Counties on the Forgotten Coast. ALWAYS CALL & CHECK HOURS & pet-friendly status BEFORE HEADING OUT!
Cape San Blas / Indian Pass
PEACHY’S BEACH EATS (next to the Trading Post on the Gulf Side). 145 Acklins Island Drive.
* Pet-Friendly outside.
Getting RAVE reviews. Enjoy Fish tacos, grouper sandwiches, Shrimp & Grits & pulled pork sandwiches. They also serve beer & wine. They have outdoor seating if you want to dine with our pup!
SAND BUCKET SMOKEHOUSE & GRILL. Right Cape San Blas! 980 Cape San Blas Road. 850-229-4227. OPEN!! Open 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. Thurs. – Sun. & 4 – 9 Mon, Tues & Wed. Award winning BBQ, Ribs, Seafood, Fresh Made Burgers & more. Take out available. Where Loggerhead Grill used to be! “My favorite meal with the shrimp skewers at Sand Bucket” Kimberly Sept. 2018
SKULLY’S LOW COUNTRY BOIL. Right on Cape San Blas. 5544 Cape San Blas Road (on the bay side). 850-227-7011
Enjoy low country boil and gumbo. Can buy larger buckets to take home with you as well. All reports I have heard have been excellent! RIGHT ON CAPE SAN BLAS! Has outside seating.
LOGGERHEAD STOP EATERY. 911 Cape San Blas Road (On Cape San Blas, Bay Side, South end of the Cape just past Happy Ours) 850-899-3000. Wed – Sun 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Gourmet food trailer that combines Cuban, Italian and American flavors. Enjoy Burgers, Pizza, Cuban Sandwich, Daily Rice Bowl Special and more! Now serving breakfast too!
ST. JOE SHRIMP COMPANY. 5025 Cape San Blas Road (right next to Cape Trading post. 850-229-6774.
Will pack for travel. Fresh Shrimp, Grouper, Hysters, Mahi Mahi, Tuna Lump Crab Meat, Flounder, Amberjack, Crab Claws, Cocktail Claws and great dip! Take home something great too cook or they also serve hot lunches!
CONEHEADS is located on Cape San Blas .2 miles (5-minute walk) from Barrier Dunes.
You can enjoy a GREAT burger, oysters & other seafood, dishes…a varied menu (all good) or an ice cream cone. Beer, wine & live music sometimes! They also have gift items! (You can walk, bike or scooter from Barrier Dunes to Coneheads–even the kids!). Conehead’s does offer some Gluten Free ice cream flavors. RIGHT ON CAPE SAN BLAS!
Scallop RePUBlic 411 Cape San Blas Road Open 2 – 9 or 10 Every Day. 850-227-9009.
Looking for a great place for a drink and great views? Also has live music 5-night a week, potlucks and open mic nite. See the AREA EVENTS page for the schedule. On the bay just after you come on to the Cape. Great place to enjoy live music, local beers or wine overlooking the bay. In addition to great live entertainment, you can enjoy a game of darts. Dog is welcome downstairs (not in the bar).
INDIAN PASS RAW BAR Rt. C-30 227-1670 NOT OPEN YET. IPRB Uptown in Port St. Joe is OPEN! (just 5 minutes off the Cape to the W). WILL POST DATES WHEN I KNOW WHEN IT WILL OPEN AGAIN. IPRB UPTOWN in Port St. Joe is open and awesome!
Wendy says “Our favorite, very informal and the kids love it.”
We enjoyed Indian Pass Raw Bar–if you can get Gator to shuck a few oysters 🙂 (Fritz & Cathy, Aspen CO) The Raw Bar was good–an interesting place (Jeanette & Bill, WI) Great Place! (Alan & Angela), The Raw Bar was “an experience”! Not what we expected! (The Stewarts) We didn’t try the Indian Pass Raw Bar until our last day, but we would have eaten there every meal if we’d discovered it sooner! (The Cassidy’s, KS) Just off the Cape to the right! CALL TO VERIFY HOURS, varies by season!
CAPE TRADING POST OPEN. 229-8775. On Cape San Blas (beach side).
Full convenience store with everything from meat to beer, wine and liquor! About 3 miles from Barrier Dunes & has everything from Wings & Pizza to wraps, subs & burgers. Fresh dip ice cream. You can even buy groceries to take home & make your own great meal! “The pizza at the Trading Post makes for a great quick meal when you would rather play than drive or cook!” Michelle Posey (& family)
SCALLOP COVE 227-7557. OPEN. On Cape San Blas (bayside) & close to Barrier Dunes! Enjoy Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner items, boiled peanuts & they will even make you a picnic to enjoy! Choices include Scallop Cove Gumbo, Fresh Subs made to order, Burgers, Dogs, & much more! Call ahead to 850-227-1573 and your order will be waiting on you!
PORT ST. JOE FLORIDA:
- Beachcombers II. 108 First Street. 229-9779
Our menu offers 1 style of sandwich…large and fresh! Great pizza as well!
- Brick Wall Sports Bar & Grill. 414 Reid Avenue. 899-9454
Open from 11 am – 9:30 pm. Great for watching the big games. Happy hour & late night menu.
- Dodaddys Seafood Restaurant. ** Pet-Friendly 208 Third Street). 850-899-9059
Enjoy everything from Jumbo shrimp to Grouper Fingers and shrimp or grouper tacos right down to and Italian lasagna plate, all at reasonable prices.
- Dockside Café (DOG-FRIENDLY) (Port St. Joe Marina) 342 Marina Drive. 229-5200. Closed for good.
- Dagwoods Delicatessen. 112 Reid Avenue. 850-899-9060
Chef inspired artisan sandwiches, wraps, tacos, salads and more on an open-air covered patio. Mon-Sun 11 – 4.
- Flip Flops Frozen Yogurt. 208 Third Street. 227-FLIP
Homemade yogurt and the only self-service sundae bar in Port St. Joe!
- Haughty Heron. 117 Sailors Cove. 229-3463.
Full-service bar & package store with indoor-outdoor seating. Live entertainment in the beer garden, 3 flat screen TV’s & cigar shop with walk-in humidor. Frequently has live music. Across from Piggly Wiggly in PSJ
- Hungry Howie’s 418 Monument Ave. (Hwy 98) 229-9222
- Indian Pass Raw Bar Uptown. 411 Reid Ave. 850-899-901.
Baked, Steamed, Raw and Grilled with an Uptown Flair. Come enjoy your favorites from Indian Pass, along with some great additions for Uptown, including Grilled Oysters, Grilled Shrimp, Steamed Lobster Tails, Indian Pass Kickin Crab & Corn Chowder, Jimmy Mac’s Chicken Wings, and Salads.
- Joe Mamas. 406 Reid Ave. Downtown Port St. Joe. 229-6262.
Open Lunch Tuesday – Sat. 11:30 – 2:30 and Dinner Tues – Thurs. 5 – 5 and Friday and Saturday 5 – 10. Hours are according to season & expand during busy times. Widescreen TV for those football games you can’t miss :-)! I get regular RAVE REVIEWS! Excellent wood fired pizza! Dennis Yara: We loved Joe Mama’s in Port St. Joe. Great salad, pizza and pot of chocolate.
- Haughty Heron. 117 Sailor’s Cove. 850-229-3493
Full-Service Wine & Liquor Bar, Live Music and Parties on the Patio, HDTV Football, Package Store, Cigar Shop, Wine Tasting. Special Events Space, Gift Baskets/Cards, Party Resources. Mon – Thu 10 am – 10 pm. Fri – Sat 10 am – 12 am. Sun 10am – 8pm.
- Indian Pass Raw Bar Uptown. 411 Reid Ave. 850-899-9001
Come enjoy your favorites from Indian Pass, along with some great additions for Uptown, including Grilled Oysters, Grilled Shrimp, Steamed Lobster Tails, Indian Pass Kickin Crab & Corn Chowder, Jimmy Mac’s Chicken Wings, and Salads. Now Serving Lunch and Dinner Monday-Saturday, 11 AM to 9 PM.
- Paul Gant’s Bar-BBQ. W. Hwy 98 227-1473 470
Any kind of BBQ sandwiches, chicken, steaks & ribs. Lunch & dinner. I haven’t eaten here, but have heard from the locals that it’s good! Only open weekends (Friday – Sunday)
- Pepper’s Mexican Grill. 224 Reid Avenue. 229-8540.
Pepper’s has TV’s if you’re wanting to watch a ball game! Great Mexican food if you want something other than seafood—nice atmosphere in downtown Port St. Joe! Rita Sikora – One of our favorites. “We’ve been twice already (in 3 days) and the girls love it.” Sharon Goodman March 2008.
- Port Inn/Thirsty Goat. 501 Monument Ave. Port St. Joe 850-229-7678. NOT OPEN YET
Full bar with live entertainment some evenings. Light fare also served. Enjoy breakfast at the Port Inn from 7 – 10 a.m. 7 days a week. All you can eat and drink for $7!
- Provisions. Reid Ave. 229-9200 ** Pet-Friendly on deck
Lunch Monday – Friday 11 – 2 and Dinner Wednesday – Friday 6 – 9:30. Join us on Thursdays for our special Tapas Menu from 6 – 8 pm.
- Sand Dollar Cafe. 301 B Monument Ave. Port St. Joe FL. 850-227-4865. SERVES BREAKFAST (hearing good things!)
Sand Dollar Cafe offers Classic Southern Comfort Food. Our kitchen is a “from scratch” kitchen using only the freshest ingredients. Our food is sourced locally when possible & our veggies come from local gardens ensuring that freshness & quality is the best.
- Shipwreck Raw Bar. 7008 W. Hwy. 98. 647-5050
Shipwreck offers many choices from land to sea sure to delight any appetite. Now serving breakfast too!
- Sister’s Restaurant. 236 Reid Avenue. 229-7121.
In historic downtown Port St. Joe. Sandwiches & salads. Breakfast & lunch.
- Sweet Bunz. 108 1st Street, Port St. Joe. 850-340-1128
Bakery. Wed – Sun 5 a.m until sold out
- Subway 101 Monument Ave 229-8883
- Thirsty Goat. Downtown Port St. Joe. 229-7678. OPEN
- The Great Wall 501 5th St. 227-9989,
Very mediocre Chinese! (Wendy Jackson)
- Sunset Coastal Grill. 602 Monument Ave. (Hwy 98) 227-7707
I’m sad to say that Sunset Coastal Grill is now closed for good 🙁.
- Ronnie B’s Steak and Seafood 114 Sailors Cove (by the Piggly Wiggly and Port St. Joe Marina) 227-1386
Wide selection of mouthwatering entrees including fresh local shrimp, scallops, oysters & steaks in a cozy, inviting atmosphere. Open at 4 every day but Mondays.
APALACHICOLA, FL (also called Apalach by the locals!): Everything in Apalch open as far as I know!
- AJ’s Neighborhood Bar and Grill. 120 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. 850-653-2571
- Apalachicola Chocolate & Coffee Company. 75 Market Street. 850-653-1025
Specializes in Delicious Handmade Chocolates, Fudges, Caramels, Truffles, Turkish Delights, Homemade Gelato & Waffle Cones. Serving Breakfast & Lunch with our Homemade Breads, Soups & Imported NY Bagels! Sunday-Wednesday 8 am – 6 pm Thursday-Saturday 8 am -10 pm
- Apalachicola Riverwalk Cafe. 17 Avenue E. 850-653-1237 ** Pet-friendly outside!
Located in the heart of Apalachicola, serving a full breakfast, homemade pizza cooked in a stone brick oven, awesome Greek salads, wonderful pimento cheeseburger, seafood, homemade desserts, Pea Pickin’ cake is a specialty. Also, gluten-free pizza & desserts. Next to the Dixie Theatre. Open Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-6:00pm, Friday –Saturday 8:00 am-9:00 pm. Closed Sunday. Pet-friendly outside tables per Bring Fido!
- Apalachicola Seafood Grill and Steakhouse. 100 Market St. 850-653-9510. * Pet-friendly!
Very casual atmosphere–home of the world’s largest fish sandwich! Enjoy a grouper sandwich, shrimp, oysters, hush puppies and much more. Grilled or fried to perfection. Closed on Sundays! Lunch, Dinner & Take Out. Hours: Mon. – Sat. 11 – 9. **Dog-Friendly!
Rita Sikora – “One of our favorites”
- Bite Me Deli & Catering. 146 Avenue E. 850-653-3354
Fresh Deli Meats and Cheeses, Gourmet Sandwiches, Soups, & Salads. Fresh local seafood on our lunch menu, Daily lunch specials and catering for any type of event.
- Boss Oyster 123 Water St. 850-653-9364 . NOT OPEN CURRENTLY. According to 1 guest… may allow your dog on the deck…please call 1st!
Dining on the Apalachicola River. Enjoy raw oysters, baked oysters, oyster Rockefeller, Oyster Monterrey, Oyster Jalapeno or design your own baked oysters! Boss’ in Apalachicola is a great place! (Alan and Andrea, GA ).We ate there twice and really liked it! (The Shook’s, GA) Eat with a view of the bay & the boats!
- Cafe con Leche. 850-653-2233. 234 Market Street & Avenue D.
Fusion of the best organically grown dark roasted coffee, homemade sandwiches & fresh pastries all in a setting of a unique boutique of local artists.
- Caroline’s On The River 123 Water St. 850-653-8139. NOT currently open. Pet-friendly screened in deck.
On the water on the bank of the Apalachicola River. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Rita Sikora “One of our favorites!” Beck Family “It was EXCELLENT and we’d totally recommend it to anyone”
- The Chowder House. 117 Market Street. 239-348-5914
A lunch time oasis in downtown historic Apalachicola. Serving a selection of ‘Made Fresh Daily’ Chowders, Soups and Bisques, Artisan Sandwiches and Salads. Open from 10:30 to 4:30 Tuesday – Saturday.
- Delores’ Sweet Shoppe 29 Ave. E 850-653-9081
Breakfast and Lunch. Salads and desserts.
- Hole in the Wall Raw Bar 23 Avenue D 850-653-3222
Serves fresh seafood, homemade soups and casseroles, Apalachicola Oysters, crabs & shrimp, daily specials, beer & wine. Open Wednesday from 3-9 p.m., Thursday – Saturday from 12 – 9 and Sunday 5-9. * Dog-Friendly!
- Kelley’s Coastal Kitchen. 355 HW 98. 850-653-5126
- Market Street Social. 117 Market Street. 850-296-9044
American-Asian fusion restaurant in a laid back Bohemian atmosphere serving Sushi, Salads, beer and wine.
- Old Time Soda Fountain 93 Market St. 850-653-2606. Cute Old Fashioned Store! Have lots of shells, T-shirts & other gift items! The kids enjoyed poking around the shop & we enjoy our cones too! (The Jackson’s)
- Risa’s Pizza 83 Market St. 850-653-8578
- Stage Left Pizza. 17 Avenue E.
Pizza crust infused with honey and many wonderful toppings to choose from. Luncheon specials every day & are always under $10. The food accompanied by the towns beautiful setting draws people from all over the world. Now, located right in the heart of Apalachicola’s historic downtown you will find “Stage Left Pizza” offering a menu of a delicious variety of Italian dishes. ** Pet Friendly
- Tamara’s Café Floridita Market St. & Avenue D. 850-653-4111
Caribbean/South American dishes served in an old-town setting. Relaxed atmosphere & eclectic mix of flavors blend into savory dishes like pecan encrusted grouper, paella, pasta & vegetarian dishes–food from the Gulf with a Caribbean flair. ** Has Gluten Free options! The Wilson’s “Tamara’s in Apalachicola is always delicious.”
- That Place in Apalachicola. Corner of Commerce & Avenue E next to the Dixie Theatre. Call 850-653-9898 for reservations. Open Monday through Saturday from 11:00 – 9:00 & Sunday from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- The Chowder House. 115 Market Street. 850-653-1205
Serving a selection of ‘Made Fresh Daily’ Chowders, Soups and Bisques, Artisan Sandwiches and Salads. Open from 10:30 to 4:30 NOW SERVING BREAKFAST from 7 – 10 a.m. EST
- The Gibson Inn 57 Market St. 850-653-2191
- The Great Wall 133 W. Hwy 98 850-653-8888
Lunch and Dinner. (not my favorite!)
- The Hut Restaurant. 426 W. Hwy 98 850-653-9410
Casual family waterfront dining serving fresh seafood, steaks, chicken & pasta. Open 7 days a week for lunch & dinner.From Lynn ‘Last night we ate at The Hut. It was delicious.’ “Very fresh seafood (The Lattners)
- The Owl Café 15 Avenue D. OPEN. 850-653-9888
Local seafood, steak & pasta and an excellent wine list. Lunch and dinner. Closed Sundays. Serving the ocean’s finest crab cakes, crab dip, Apalachicola oysters, soups, salads, sandwiches, daily specials & desserts like chocolate mousse & caramel flan that melts in your mouth! ** Has Gluten Free options!
I have heard the Owl is one of the best restaurants on the Panhandle & a local favorite. Serving the ocean’s finest crab cakes, crab dip, Apalachicola oysters, soups, salads, sandwiches, daily specials & desserts like chocolate mousse & caramel flan that melts in your mouth!“The crab dip is out of site” Burt and Joyce Wagnon
- The Red Top Café 238 W. Hwy 98 850-653-8612
Family style restaurant serving steaks, seafood, sandwiches, chicken & kid’s meals. Breakfast, lunch & dinner. Closed Sunday & Monday.
- The Station Raw Bar. 53 Market Street. 850-657-8237. * Pet-Friendly outside.
Oysters, Shrimp, Salads & Po Boys. GREAT FOOD!
- Up the Creek Raw Bar. 313 Water Street 850-653-2525 * Pets welcome
Open Noon – 9:00 every day. Apalachicola Bay Oysters, shrimp, crab legs, local clams, Conch Cakes or Seagull Wings along with everything from Gulf Grouper to a variety of sandwiches and burgers.
From the Walden’s: “We ate at Up the Creek” in Apalachicola–it was AMAZING”. * Dog-friendly dining on the porch!
MEXICO BEACH / ST. JOE BEACH, FL: (all area codes are 850 and Mexico Beach is on Central Standard Time!)
- Amanda’s Bistro. 2904 Hwy 98. 648-5102. Featuring a European/American style cuisine. Call for reservations for our weekend dinners. Breakfast, lunch & dinner. Tuesday – Saturday. 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Beer & wine served.
- Beach Pizza 3200 Hwy 98 648-4600 OPEN
Lunch, dinner & take-out. Outdoor seating.
- Fish House Restaurant. 3006 Hwy 98 648-8950
“The freshest Seafood from the Gulf of Mexico”
- Killer Seafood 820 Highway 98 648-6565, Lunch and Dinner.
What’s the one dish you can’t miss? Ask anyone who’s been to Mexico Beach, and they’ll tell you to try the fish tacos at Killer Seafood. Even Millburg advises readers to order the “deliciously messy fish tacos; you’ll lick the sauce off your hands.”
- Mango Marley’s. 3104 Highway 98. OPEN
Great fried and steamed seafood or enjoy burgers and wings while you watch the big games. Fully liquor bar.
- Regans Pub & Oyster Bar 8066 Hwy 98 647-2800
Great oyster bar as well as other fine gulf seafood. Very casual restaurant on 1 side & a lounge on the other if you want to enjoy pool, darts & a jukebox.
- Sharon’s Café 1100 Hwy 98 648-8634
Breakfast & lunch spot on Mexico Beach which features the giant Happy Face Pancake.
- Subway Express. 714 Hwy 98. 648-8840
- Toucan’s Restaurant 812 Hwy 98 648-8207 CURRENTLY CLOSED
Serves fresh local seafood, Apalachicola oysters & live Maine lobster. Located on the beach & has an outdoor volleyball court. Fun for the kids! Open 7 days a week for lunch & dinner. Happy hour daily from 4 – 6.
It was so so compared to Boss Oyster & Sunset Coastal Grill! The Shooks. Right on the beach with an outside sand volleyball court to entertain the kids (and adults)–fun atmosphere! The Jacksons/ Toucan’s has live bands sometimes & all you can eat steamed shrimp 1 night during the week! Definitely one of the better choices for large groups! “Toucan’s was another big hit with everyone in our group.” Monnett Family
- Red Pirate Family Grill and Oyster Bar 236 Hwy 98 850-670-1090
I heard from a guest that they have all you can eat crab legs on Wednesday & Fridays!
- Crooked River Grill 151 Laughing Gull Lane. 850-697-9070.
NOTE: You will find all of this information and also MANY of the menus in the Guest Information books provided in all of our rentals! Please call first to double-check hours and openings!
For your “beverages” of choice, try, The Port Fine Wines and Spirits just past the Port St. Joe Piggly Wiggly & on the right (opposite side as the Pig!).
WHERE TO BUY FRESH SEAFOOD TO ENJOY WHILE YOU’RE AT CAPE SAN BLAS OR TAKE HOME
- St. Joe Shrimp Co.. 5025 Cape San Blas Road (right next to Cape Trading post. 850-229-6774.
Will pack for travel. Fresh shrimp, grouper, oysters & crab and great dip! Also serves hot lunches!
- Allen’s Seafood. (850) 653-9882. 462 W. 98, Apalachicola, FL.
Family owned and operated! We offer fresh local seafood~ Fish, Oysters, Shrimp, and Crabs. They sell fresh oysters (30lb or 60lb bags) in the shell. They also sell shucked oysters, pints and gallons. Also have shrimp, grouper, and other fresh fish! Call or E-mail us firstname.lastname@example.org. We pack for travel with advance notice.
- St. Patricks Seafood. 850-229-8070. 405 Woodward Avenue, Port St. Joe
- 13-Mile Seafood Market. 850-693-1395. 227 Water Street, Apalachicola
- Piggly Wiggly in Port S. Joe also has fresh seafood you can purchase.
Nearby grocery and convenience stores:
Although Cape San Blas is quiet, peaceful and without the dense high rise condo’s of Destin or Panama City, it does not mean that you can’t find “the basics” on the Cape. There are 2 outlets on the Cape San Blas, FL for groceries and other “beach basics”:
- Scallop Cove: You can get gas, convenience store basics, general beach and camping and fishing supplies, beer wine and some produce. You can also rent anything you need for your beach vacation: Canoes, kayaks, crab traps, fishing supplies, videos and much, much more! Scallop Cove rents grills and diver down flags if you have the need! It also has hot dogs, seafood gumbo and hand-dipped ice cream cones if you need a snack!
- The Tradin’ Post: It’s located on the Bayside. You can pick up everything from a steak and produce to beer, wine and liquor (only liquor on the Cape). Wendy says: They make their own pizza for carry-out, GREAT wings & fresh made donuts in the a.m. Get there early, they go fast! Just call them at 229-8775.
- Piggly Wiggly: If a full-service grocery store is more of what you need, on the way into Cape San Blas, FL you can stop at the Piggly Wiggly in either Port St. Joe, FL (20 min) or Apalachicola, FL (25min.). Great place to stop on your way in! Guest Comment: We thought the Piggly Wiggly is a 1000 times better than the Kroger’s in Lexington. Everything I cooked from there was so much better and not because we were on vacation! It really was! Gina & Gavin) ** Piggly Wiggly does have GREAT seafood! Just a fresh as anywhere you can find it! Locals just call it The Pig!
Have your groceries DELIVERED:
- Get Away Groceries 1-844-867-5310
- Gourmet Chef Now: Have a gourmet dinner prepared for you or attend a fun cooking class. Caterer as well. 850-227-8030 or 850-229-1230