Restaurants: Cape San Blas, Apalachicola, Mexico Beach, St. Joe
To help you decide where to dine first, you will find menus to many of the area restaurants in the Guest Information Book located in each of our Barrier Dunes Vacation Rentals! You will also find a page in the book with guest comments about where they ate & how it was!
Cape San Blas / Indian Pass
- Sand Bucket Smokehouse and Grill NEW & on Cape San Blas! 980 Cape San Blas Road 850-229-4227 Open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Closed Tuesdays. Award winning BBQ, Ribs, Seafood, Fresh Made Burgers and more. Take out available. Where Loggerhead Grill used to be! RIGHT ON CAPE SAN BLAS!
- Conehead’s is located on Cape San Blas about .2 miles (5 minute walk) from Barrier Dunes.
You can enjo a GREAT burger, oysters and other seafood,dishes…a varied menu (all good) or an ice cream cone. Beer, wine and live music sometimes! They also have gift items! (You can walk, bike or scooter from Barrier Dunes to Coneheads–even the kids!). Conehead’s does offer some Gluten Free ice cream flavors.
- Indian Pass Raw Bar Rt. C-30 227-1670 Wendy says “Our favorite, very informal and the kids love it.”
We enjoyed Indian Pass Raw Bar–if you can get Gator to shuck a few oysters (Fritz and Cathy, Aspen CO) The Raw Bar was good–an interesting place (Jeanette & Bill, WI) Great Place! (Alan & Angela), The Raw Bar was “an experience”! Not what we expected! (The Stewarts) We didn’t try the Indian Pass Raw Bar until our last day, but we would have eaten there every meal if we’d discovered it sooner! (The Cassidy’s, KS)
CALL TO VERIFY HOURS, varies by season!
- Cape Trading Post 229-8775. On Cape San Blas, about 3 miles from Barrier Dunes & has everything from Wings & Pizza to wraps, subs & burgers. Fresh dip ice cream. You can even buy groceries to take home & make your own great meal! They also carry beer, wine & the only liquor on the Cape.”The pizza at the Trading Post makes for a great quick meal when you would rather play than drive or cook!” Michelle Posey (and family)
- Scallop Cove 227-7557. On Cape San Blas & close to Barrier Dunes! Enjoy Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner items, boiled peanuts & they will even make you a picnic to enjoy! Choices include Scallop Cove Gumbo, Fresh Subs made to order, Burgers, Dogs, and much more! Call ahead to 850-227-1573 and your order will be waiting on you!
- Triple Tails Oyster Bar, Seafood Market, Liquors & Gifts – 2413 C-30 A. 227-7337
Come off Cape San Blas and turn left towards Port St. Joe. Will be on the bay side near Presnell’s Marina. Indoor/outdoor with Tiki Hut with live music. Enjoy grouper sandwiches, BBQ, crabcakes, soft shelled crabs, snow crabs and more! * Pet Friendly, leash required
Port St. Joe, Florida:
- Beachcombers II. 108 First Street. 229-9779
Our menu offers 1 style of sandwich…large and fresh! Great pizza as well!
- Burger King. 601 Monument Ave. 229-7060
- Dockside Café (DOG FRIENDLY) (Port St. Joe Marina) 342 Marina Drive. 229-5200
Casual with views of the St. Joe Bay. Will pack lunches & have a kids menu! Open 7 days a week. Now serving breakfast Friday, Saturday & Sunday 7:30 – 10:30!
“It had good variety and a children’s menu. The kids had fun because they could see the deep sea fishing boats coming in and look at what they caught.” The Jacksons “We really enjoyed it! (The Rushbrooks ) We ate at a lot of new places, Dockside Cafe was one of the best. Loved the food & the atmosphere & the price was reasonable. (Monnett Family“Dockside Marina is a great place to eat…” Michelle Posey ** Pet Friendly
- Flip Flops Frozen Yogurt. 208 Third Street. 227-FLIP
Homemade yogurt and the only self service sundae bar in Port St. Joe!
- Haughty Heron. 117 Sailors Cove. 229-3463
Full service bar & package store with indoor outdoor seating. Live entertainment in the beer garden, 3 flat screen TV’s & cigar shop with walk in humidor. Frequently has live music. Across from Piggly Wiggly in PSJ
- Hungry Howie’s 418 Monument Ave. (Hwy 98) 229-9222
- Joe Mama’s. 406 Reid Ave. Downtown Port St. Joe. 229-6262 Open Lunch Tuesday – Sat. 11:30 – 2:30 and Dinner Tues – Thurs. 5 – 5 and Friday and Saturday 5 – 10. Hours are according to season and expand during busy times. Wide screen TV for those football games you can’t miss :-)!This is a new restaurant but I am getting RAVE REVIEWS regularly from guests! 6/11 Dennis Yara: We loved Joe Mama’s in Port St. Joe. Great salad, pizza and pot of chocolate.
- Mason Dixon. 402 Reid Ave. 527-2631
A mix of Northern family recipes mixed with an appreciation of Southern cuisine creating tasty and unique sandwiches, BREAKFAST and gourmet coffees.
- Paul Gant’s Bar-BBQ. W. Hwy 98 227-1473 470
Any kind of BBQ sandwiches, chicken, steaks and ribs. Lunch and dinner. I haven’t eaten here, but have heard from the locals that it’s good!
- Pepper’s Mexican Grill. 224 Reid Avenue. 229-8540.
Pepper’s has TV’s if you’re wanting to watch a ball game! “Great Mexican food if you want something other than seafood—nice atmosphere in downtown Port St. Joe!” Rita Sikora (winter 2008) – One our our favorites. “We’ve been twice already (in 3 days) and the girls love it.” Sharon Goodman March 2008.
- Port Inn/Thirsty Goat. 501 Monument Ave. Port St. Joe 850-229-7678
Full bar with live entertainment some evenings. Light fare also served. Enjoy breakfast at the Port Inn from 7 – 10 a.m. 7 days a week. All you can eat and drink for $7!
- Provisions. Reid Ave. 229-9200 ** Pet Friendly on deck
Lunch Monday – Friday 11 – 2 and Dinner Wednesday – Friday 6 – 9:30. Join us on Thursdays for our special Tapas Menu from 6 – 8 pm.
- Sister’s Restaurant 236 Reid Avenue. 229-7121.
In historic downtown Port St. Joe. Sandwiches and salads. Breakfast and lunch.
- Subway 101 Monument Ave 229-8883
- The Great Wall 501 5th St. 227-9989 Very mediocre Chinese! (Wendy Jackson)
- Sunset Coastal Grill. 602 Monument Ave. (Hwy 98) 227-7707
City pier & great sunsets can be viewed from nearly every seat in the place. Serves seafood, steaks, chops, chicken and pasta. Open 7 days a week. Lunch 11 – 3 & dinner starting at 5.
If you’re going to be at Cape San Blas for Thanksgiving, Sunset has an amazing Thanksgiving buffet! “Best dinner we had all week!” (K. Simms, Atlanta, GA). “We ate there twice and really liked it!” (The Shooks) One our our favorites. Rita Sikora “ Loved Sunset Coast Grill! The Freeburgs. “We ate there the last night in Florida & had a spectacular meal (and drinks!). The Wheelers. “It was excellent”.Donna Swilley
- Ronnie B’s Steak and Seafood 114 Sailors Cove (by the Piggly Wiggly and Port St. Joe Marina) 227-1386
Wide selection of mouthwatering entrees including fresh local shrimp, scallops, oysters, and steaks in a cozy, inviting atmosphere. Open at 4 every day but Mondays. This one is newer so if you have a review, please let me know!
Apalachicola, FL (also called Apalach by the locals!):
- AJ’s Neighborhood Bar and Grill. 120 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. 850-653-2571
- Apalachicola Riverwalk Cafe. 17 Avenue E. 850-653-1237 ** Pet friendly outside!
Located in the heart of Apalachicola, serving a full breakfast, homemade pizza cooked in a stone brick oven, awesome Greek salads, wonderful pimento cheese burger, seafood, homemade desserts, Pea Pickin’ cake is a specialty. Also, gluten free pizza and desserts. Next to the Dixie Theatre. Open Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-6:00pm, Friday –Saturday 8:00am-9:00pm. Closed Sunday. Pet friendly on outside table per Bring Fido!
- Apalachicola Seafood Grill and Steakhouse 100 Market St. 850-653-9510. * Pet friendly!
Very casual atmosphere–home of the worlds largest fish sandwich! Enjoy a grouper sandwich, shrimp, oysters, hush puppies and much more. Grilled or fried to perfection. Closed on Sundays! Lunch, Dinner & Take Out. Hours: Mon. – Sat. 11 – 9. Dog Friendly!
Rita Sikora – “One our our favorites”
- Bay City Lodge Bay City Road 850-653-9294
Breakfast, Dinner and Take Out
- Boss Oyster 123 Water St. 850-653-9364 According to 1 guest… may allow your dog on the deck…please call 1st! Dining on the Apalachicola River. Enjoy raw oysters, baked oysters, oyster Rockefeller, Oyster Monterey, Oyster Jalapeno or design your own baked oysters!
Boss’ in Apalachicola is a great place! (Alan and Andrea, GA ).We ate there twice and really liked it! (The Shook’s, GA) Eat with a view of the bay & the boats!
- Cafe con Leche. 850-653-2233. 234 Market Street & Avenue D.
Fusion of the best organically grown dark roasted coffee, homemade sandwiches and fresh pastries all in a setting of a unique boutique of local artists.
- Caroline’s On The River 123 Water St. 850-653-8139.
On the water on the bank of the Apalachicola River. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Rita Sikora “One our our favorites!” Beck Family “It was EXCELLENT and we’d totally recommend it to anyone”
- Chef Eddie’s Magnolia Grill 99 11th St. 850-653-8000
Elegant dining – enjoy gourmet chef’s delights that include a variety of favorites like prime rib, oak grilled steaks, grilled shrimp, rack of lamb, gumbo and delectable deserts. Dinner only starting at 6. Closed on Sunday. Outside dining available. Extensive wine list and children’s menu available.
- Delores’ Sweet Shoppe 29 Ave. E 850-653-9081
Breakfast and Lunch. Salads and desserts.
- Hole in the Wall Raw Bar 23 Avenue D 850-653-3222
Serves fresh seafood, homemade soups and casseroles, Apalachicola Oysters, crabs & shrimp, daily specials, beer & wine. Open Wednesday from 3-9 p.m., Thursday – Saturday from 12 – 9 and Sunday 5-9. * Dog Friendly!
- Old Time Soda Fountain 93 Market St. 850-653-2606. Cute Old Fashioned Store! Has lots of shells, T-shirts and other gift items! The kids enjoyed poking around the shop and we enjoy our cones too! (The Jackson’s)
- Papa Joe’s Oyster Bar & Grill 301 Market St. 850-653-1189
Waterfront dining on the Apalachicola River. Full oyster bar. Closed on Sunday. Lunch and dinner. Our favorite restaurant was Papa Joe’s in Appalach. (Fritz and Cathy, Aspen, CO) Enjoyed a GREAT lunch at Papa Joe’s–the Oyster Po Boy was outstanding, but so was everything! (The Jacksons). “Went to Papa Joe’s …YUM!” The Freeburgs
- Risa’s Pizza 83 Market St. 850-653-8578
- Stage Left Pizza. 17 Avenue E.
Pizza crust infused with honey and many wonderful toppings to choose from. Luncheon specials every day and are always under $10. The food accompanied by the towns beautiful setting draws people from all over the world. Now, located right in the heart of Apalachicola’s historic downtown you will find “Stage Left Pizza” offering a menu of a delicious variety of Italian dishes. Pet Friendly
- Tamara’s Café Floridita Market St. & Avenue D. 850-653-4111
Caribbean/South American dishes served in an old-town setting. Relaxed atmosphere and eclectic mix of flavors blend into savory dishes like pecan encrusted grouper, paella, pastas and vegetarian dishes–food from the Gulf with a Caribbean flare. ** Has Gluten Free options! The Wilson’s “Tamara’s in Apalachicola is always delicious.”
- That Place in Apalachicola. Corner of Commerce & Avenue E next to the Dixie Theatre. Call 850-653-9898 for reservations. Open Monday through Saturday from 11:00 – 9:00 and Sunday from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- The Gibson Inn 57 Market St. 850-653-2191
- The Great Wall 133 W. Hwy 98 850-653-8888
Lunch and Dinner. (not my favorite!)
- The Hut Restaurant. 426 W. Hwy 98 850-653-9410
Casual family waterfront dining serving fresh seafood, steaks, chicken and pasta. Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.From Lynn ‘Last night we ate at The Hut. It was delicious.’ “Very fresh seafood (The Lattners)
- The Owl Café 15 Avenue D 850-653-9888
Local seafood, steak and pastas and an excellent wine list. Lunch and dinner. Closed Sundays. Serving the ocean’s finest crab cakes, crab dip, Apalachicola oysters, soups, salads, sandwiches, daily specials and desserts like chocolate mousse and caramel flan that melts in your mouth! ** Has Gluten Free options!
I have heard the Owl is one of the best restaurants on the Panhandle and a local favorite. Serving the ocean’s finest crab cakes, crab dip, Apalachicola oysters, soups, salads, sandwiches, daily specials and desserts like chocolate mousse and caramel flan that melts in your mouth!“The crab dip is out of site” Burt and Joyce Wagnon October 2007
- The Red Top Café 238 W. Hwy 98 850-653-8612
Family style restaurant serving steaks, seafood, sandwiches, chicken & kid’s meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Closed Sunday & Monday.
- Up the Creek Raw Bar. 313 Water Street 850-653-2525 * Pets welcome
Open Noon – 9:00 everyday. Apalachicola Bay Oysters, shrimp, crab legs, local clams, Conch Cakes or Seagull Wings along with everyhing from Gulf Grouper to a variety of sandwiches and burgers.
From the Walden’s: “We ate at Up the Creek” in Apalachicola–it was AMAZING”. * Dog friendly dining on the porch!
Mexico Beach / St. Joe Beach, FL: (all area codes are 850 and Mexico Beach is on Central Standard Time!)
- Amanda’s Bistro. 2904 Hwy 98. 648-5102. Featuring a European/American style cuisine. Call for reservations for our weekend dinners. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tuesday – Saturday. 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Beer & wine served.
- Beach Pizza 3200 Hwy 98 648-4600
Lunch, dinner & take-out. Outdoor seating.
- Fish House Restaurant. 3006 Hwy 98 648-8950
“The freshest Seafood from the Gulf of Mexico”
- Killer Seafood 820 Highway 98 648-6565
Lunch and Dinner.
- Mango Marley’s. 3104 Highway 98.
Great fried and steamed seafood or enjoy burgers and wings while you watch the big games. Fully liquor bar.
- Ruby Rumrunners. In the Mexico Beach shopping center, down from Ace Hardware.
850-648-1111. Family friendly bar and grill open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Enjoy wings, burgers and seafood.
- Regans Pub & Oyster Bar 8066 Hwy 98 647-2800
Great oyster bar as well as other fine gulf seafood. Very casual restaurant on 1 side and a lounge on the other if you want to enjoy pool, darts and a jukebox.
- Sharon’s Café 1100 Hwy 98 648-8634
Breakfast and lunch spot on Mexico Beach which features the giant Happy Face Pancake.
- Subway Express. 714 Hwy 98. 648-8840
- Toucan’s Restaurant 812 Hwy 98 648-8207
Serves fresh local seafood, Apalachicola oysters and live Maine lobster. Located on the beach and has an outdoor volleyball court. Fun for the kids! Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner. Happy hour daily from 4 – 6.
It was so so compared to Boss Oyster and Sunset Coastal Grill! The Shooks. Right on the beach with an outside sand volleyball court to entertain the kids (and adults)–fun atmosphere! The Jacksons/ Toucan’s has live bands sometimes & all you can eat steamed shrimp 1 night during the week! Definitely one of the better choices for large groups! “Toucan’s was another big hit with everyone in our group.” Monnett Family
Red Pirate Family Grill and Oyster Bar 236 Hwy 98 850-670-1090
I heard from a guest that they have all you can eat crab legs on Wednesday and Fridays!
- Crooked River Grill 151 Laughing Gull Lane. 850-697-9070.
NOTE: You will find all of this information and also MANY of the menus in the Guest Information books provided in all of our rentals! Please call first to double check hours and openings!
For your “beverages” of choice, try, The Port Fine Wines and Spirits just past the Port St. Joe Piggly Wiggly & on the right (opposite side as the Pig!).
WHERE TO BUY FRESH SEAFOOD TO ENJOY WHILE YOU’RE AT CAPE SAN BLAS OR TAKE HOME
- Allen’s Seafood. (850) 653-9882. 462 W. 98, Apalachicola, FL.
Family owned and operated! We offer fresh local seafood~ Fish, Oysters, Shrimp, and Crabs. They sell fresh oysters (30lb or 60lb bags) in the shell. They also sell shucked oysters, pints and gallons. Also have shrimp, grouper,and other fresh fish! Call or E-mail us email@example.com. We pack for travel with advance notice.
- St. Joe Shrimp Co. 850-229-6224. We pack for travel. Fresh shrimp, grouper, oysters & crab. Located 4 miles south of Port St. Joe on Hwy. 30A just past Simmons Bayou Bridge. You will pass it after you leave Port St. Joe by Presnell’s Marina.
Nearby grocery and convenience stores:
Although Cape San Blas is quiet, peaceful and without the dense high rise condo’s of Destin or Panama City, it does not mean that you can’t find “the basics” on the Cape. There are 2 outlets on the Cape San Blas, FL for groceries and other “beach basics”:
- Scallop Cove: You can get gas, convenience store basics, general beach and camping and fishing supplies, beer wine and some produce. You can also rent anything you need for your beach vacation: Canoes, kayaks, crab traps, fishing supplies, videos and much, much more! Scallop Cove rents grills and diver down flags if you have the need! It also has hot dogs, seafood gumbo and hand-dipped ice cream cones if you need a snack!
- The Tradin’ Post: It’s located on the Bayside. You can pick up everything from a steak and produce to beer, wine and liquor (only liquor on the Cape). Wendy says: They make their own pizza for carry-out, GREAT wings & fresh made donuts in the a.m. Get there early, they go fast! Just call them at 229-8775.
- Piggly Wiggly: If a full-service grocery store is more of what you need, on the way into Cape San Blas, FL you can stop at the Piggly Wiggly in either Port St. Joe, FL (20 min) or Apalachicola, FL (25min.). Great place to stop on your way in!Guest Comment: We thought the Piggly Wiggly is a 1000 times better than the Kroger’s in Lexington. Everything I cooked from there was so much better and not because we were on vacation! It really was! Gina & Gavin) ** Piggly Wiggly does have GREAT seafood! Just a fresh as anywhere you can find it! Locals just call it The Pig!
The Indian Pass Raw Bar is just about 2 miles off Cape San Blas & a favorite of locals & the Jackson Family! Very casual!
Of course, you can always catch your own dinner in a variety of ways:
Surf fishing right in front of Barrier Dunes!
Crabbing is one of our favorite activites and meals! This is one of our guests showing off her catch!