HOW WE FOUND AND FELL IN LOVE WITH CAPE SAN BLAS FL AND BARRIER DUNES:
We looked for a beach home-away-from home starting when our children (now 16 & 18) were born! We've owned in Barrier Dunes for 12 years now.
We have ventured from the Alabama side of the Panhandle to Ft. Walton Beach, Seagrove, Destin, Destin, Hilton Head, SeaSide & Santa Rosa without finding the “perfect” place.
We love to go to the beach to enjoy the beach & all it has to offer. We wanted a place to return to year after year --- one that our kids would be excited about because of memories of the previous years. We didn't want them to remember putt-putt, t-shirt shops and other things we could find right here in Atlant. Then we found Cape San Blas FL & Barrier Dunes!
During our 1st trip to Barrier Dunes & Cape San Blas we decided on the 3rd day that this was it! We loved (and still love) Barrier Dunes because of all the things outlined above, but also because:
- We like all (ok, a vast majority) of the people we have met, both owners & renters — they are the type of people we would like to have as neighbors!
- There are always other kids for our kids to play with but never a noisy crowd, or the wrong crowd! Spring break was always a safe, family friendly enviornment.
- It's SAFE! We love the freedom our kids have to explore the beach, play with friendly & do other things in & around Barrier Dunes without worrying!
- You don’t need to get up early to mark your spot at the beach or the pool to have a spot to call your own.
- We can do everything we want to do on vacation without starting the car: Fish in freshwater, the ocean or bay, swim in a pool or the ocean, take our dogs out for a swim, build sandcastles & dig holes, skimboard, watch the dolphins, catch some crabs for dinner, watch a romantic sunset on the beach, take our flashlights out at night and see 100+ crabs in one place, and, if we’re lucky, maybe catch a glimpse of a nesting or hatching sea turtle!
- If we want more, we can go out to dinner at a variety of restaurants without getting dressed up, rent a boat or kayak, ride a horse on the beach, take a deep-sea fishing charter, go scalloping in St. Joseph State Park and any number of other great activities!
- Where else can you have a bonfire on the beach, go horseback riding on the beach and have your dogs join you too?
- There are NO highrise condos & no commercialism on the Cape--heck, there isn't even a stop light! We're thrilled our kids can't get a nose ring or tatoo for 40 or so miles!
Our only hope is that it remains as undiscovered & uncrowded as it is today—we know why they call it “The Forgotten Coast! Once you experience the beauty & pristine Cape San Blas beaches, high sand dunes & friendly nature of Barrier Dunes & Cape San Blas (actually, all of Gulf Count), you will never chose another vacation destination.
MAP OF BARRIER DUNES
There are boardwalks running throughout the neighborhood that are not pictured on this map!
Learn more about our Cape San Blas Vacation Rentals in Barrier Dunes:
Barrier Dunes 191 Turtle Crawl - 2BR/2BA Gulf View and 75 steps to the beach
Barrier Dunes 91 Cape Escape II - 2BR/2.5BA On a lake and 200 steps to the beach
View of the #1 rated beach in America (“Dr. Beach” Stephen Leatherman in 2002)!
Gazebo next to Barrier Dunes 4 - Easy beach access & great spot for pictures or watching the sunset!
Barrier Dunes clubhouse--available for your private events, wedding receptions etc. as well as host to many
pot luck dinners and other events open to everyone throughout the year!
Enjoy the upper deck of the beach front Barrier Dunes clubhouse. Great for enjoying the sunset before dinner! Have a wedding or a family reunion? The clubhouse is available to rent and has a full kitchen, TV and lots of great seating!
Barrier Dunes beachside pool. One of 2 pools in Barrier Dunes, this one is built into the sand dunes and overlooks the Gulf of Mexico!
It is attached to the clubhouse that has an upper deck--great for viewing spectacular romantic sunsets!
The second pool and tennis courts. This Barrier Dunes pool is now Solar Heated!
Barrier Dunes has a playground on-site. All new equipment and picnic
tables for the parents enjoy the kids having fun! Barrier Dunes is gated and the streets are quite--great for scooters, rollerblades or bikes!
One of 3 stocked fishing ponds at Barrier Dunes--1 is just outside the back door to Cape Escape II (Barrier Dunes 91)--you can fish FROM the back porch of Cape Escape II
The lighted tennis courts are the only tennis courts on Cape San Blas! Centrally located near all of our vacation rentals!
Barrier Dunes is a wonderful, safe, family friendly gated neighborhood just outside the gates to St. Joseph Peninsula State Park.
Proud Member of the Gulf County Chamber of Commerce!
Links to more information:
Read more about Cape San Blas and the area. This page include information about:
* Average temperatures
* Distances to Cape San Blas from various cities
* Airport Information
* Area map and a variety of links
Looking for a great restaurant in or around Cape San Blas? The Forgotten Coast has the best seafood in the country--unless you're staying for a month or more, it will be hard to decide how to narrow the choices?
Copyright © Cape Escape Vacation Rentals, 2014. All photos and content are owned by CEVR/Wendy Jackson.